We are super excited to announce that the Hazed team will be running the Cathedral Square Market when it re-launches later this month.
Cathedral Square Market is going to be developed into an 'indie market' including a carefully curated selection of handmade, vintage and ethical stalls presented by Cantabrian's artisans. To add to the intensity of the festive environment we anticipate inviting buskers and paid entertainers to actively participate with visitors to create a festive market zone Canterbury can be proud of. Encouraging visitors to linger in the square and appreciate the evolution and change taking place in Christchurch and bridging the gap between the ReStart Mall and New Regent Street.
Applications of interest for the Spring season are open now. We thought it best to share our ideas and guidelines here, so you can take a peek inside our heads and get a feel for the type of market space we are launching and why...
- DAYS: Initially the market will run on weekends and high traffic week days - public holidays, school holidays and days when the cruise ships are in port over the hill at Akaroa. Eventually the market will be open seven days a week during the busy season and reducing down to weekends over the winter months. Please see the application form for the initial market dates.
- HOURS: The market will run from 10am to 4pm on the days we are open with set up starting from 8.30am.
- WHERE: The site the market is to be held on is beside the Millenium Hotel astride the tram tracks in Cathedral Square.
- HANDMADE, VINTAGE & ETHICAL: Do you produce your product? Do you source your products locally? Can you tell us who makes your products? Do you carefully curate your selection of vintage products? Are you products well priced and relevant? Do your products have a unique point of difference? What are the travel miles of your product? These are all the types of questions you should be able to answer if you want to sell at the market.
- CURATED: It's not a huge site, we will only have room to showcase 20-25 stalls per day. We want this space to showcase the very best of Christchurch, Canterbury and New Zealand to our tourists, whilst also remaining relevant to our local community too. Curated essential means we have the option to say no if something isn't working or doesn't fill our niche.
- ROTATIONAL: There is nothing more annoying than revisiting a market and seeing the same set of stalls that were there last week, and the week before that, and the week before that. It is intentional that not all stalls will be in attendance every day, every weekend or every week.
- ENTERTAINMENT: We are now taking registrations of interest from entertainers who would be keen to entertain market goers it a busker-style capacity, unfortunately there is no electricity in the area of the market at this time.
- WEATHER: A decision will be made on the day as to whether the market will be cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. In the event of a cancellation a refund and/or credit will be issued.
We'd love to hear what you think, are we on the right track? Do you have ideas as to how you envisage this market taking shape? And most importantly of all - don't forget to register your interest to become a stall holder.